Sunday, November 18, 2012

My MM2H Visa Extension

When I first obtained my Malaysia My Second Home (MM2H) visa I was given a 10 year visa, but since my American passport was already 5 years old I received a 5 year visa stamp in my passport. This week I have to go to Kuala Lumpur to the US Embassy and hand in my application for a new visa. Three weeks after that I have to return to the Embassy to pick up my new passport and then make my way to Putrajaya, where the Malaysian Immigration office is located and receive my new stamp. It would be great if I could do everything by mail, but the US Embassy no longer sends passports by mail. Previously you could do immigration business at the Butterworth office of Malaysia Immigration, but no longer. I guess nothing gets easier.

My next stamp will be valid for another 5 years, at which time I will have to have my visa renewed. In regards to the MM2H visa there are 2 options available for those who wish to apply for the original, need an extension or a renewal. One option is to obtain services of an MM2H agent who will do all of the paperwork and legwork for you, for a fee. The other option is the "do it yourself" route. When I first applied I used an agent, as I did not have the time and money to make frequent trips to Malaysia from the US.  I also wanted to make sure everything was in order. To me the cost was well worth it. Some people, however, would rather do everything themselves, which is fine.

If anyone is interested in applying for the MM2H program and desire to use an agent you can contact me and I can give you recommendations. You can, of course, contact me, regarding any questions you have about the visa and about living in Malaysia.

No comments:

Post a Comment